Eligibility for the EBDS
As with the original scheme, the EBDS will be available to everyone on a non-domestic contract including.
- voluntary sector organisations, such as charities
- public sector organisations such as schools, hospitals, and care homes
- Any exceptions to the scheme will be as per the old scheme
- on existing fixed price contracts that were agreed on or after 1 December 2021
- signing new fixed price contracts
- on deemed / out of contract or standard variable tariffs
- on flexible purchase or similar contracts
- on variable ‘Day Ahead Index’ (DAI) tariffs (Northern Ireland scheme only)
However, under the new scheme, customers will be split into three groups as outlined below:
- Trade Intensive Industries (ETII)
- Qualifying Heat Supplies (QHS)
EBDS support levels
The baseline support under the EBDS is much lower as under the EBRS (due to the current wholesale price). Please refer to the discount tables for each customer group at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/energy-bill-discount-scheme-discounts-for-fixed-default-and-variable-contracts
Applications for higher level Energy and Trade Intensive Industries (ETII) or Qualifying Heat Network (QHS) support for customers eligible on 26 April 2023 closed on 25 July 2023. If you became eligible for the higher level of support after 26 April 2023, you must apply within 90 days from becoming eligible.
For eligibility queries contact the EBDS customer support team.
Telephone: 030 0400 5251
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm